This checklist walks you through the steps how to capture, then insert an affiliate’s ID into Aweber when they subscribe to a list.
Step 1 – Add Custom Fields
- Log into Aweber, navigate to the list you want to work with
- From the navigation bar, go to My Lists >> Custom Fields
- In the empty field at the bottom, enter a name for the affiliate ID. We like to use the same ones as what our shopping cart uses. Then click the plus sign to add the field
Step 2 – Create the subscription form
- Navigate to Web Forms
- Create a new form – or if you have an existing form you’d like to use you can edit it.
- In the form editor, add the new custom field you just created to store your affiliates’ ID.
Save your web form, Go to Step 2 to add your confirmation and already subscribe page URLs as usual
- Save your web form and Go to Step 3. Click “I Will Install My Web Form”, then the “Raw HTML Version” tab
- Copy the code for the form and paste it into a page on your web site. Make sure the file is a .php.
Step 4 – Editing the subscription form to hide custom field
- After pasting the code into your page, at the top of the page, paste the following code.
// This code grabs the data from the URL and temporarily stores it for use later on this page$aff_id = filter_var($_GET['aff_id'], FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING);
- Locate the custom aff_id input field in your Aweber form code. Remove the label – this will remove the aff_id from showing up on your form. Then in the input field’s name enter the following code:
< ?php echo htmlentities($aff_id); ?>
Save your file and test. You can do this in WordPress but you should use a plugin like runPHP, Executable PHP Widget or PHP Execution in order to run these codes inside posts, pages or sidebars If you are confused, review the Lab video recording.